ROMS Opens its 1st Robotic Convenience Store for Quick Commerce with KDDI
Tokyo, Japan – ROMS, Inc., (Tokyo, CEO: Yosuke Maeno), a robotics and automation solution provider for retail stores and logistics centers, opened its first robotic convenience store (RCS) in a joint project with KDDI Corporation (Tokyo, President, Representative Director: Makoto Takahashi). The robotics convenience store “au Minutes Store Shibuya” is located inside KDDI’s “au Style SHIBUYA MODI” store in Tokyo, and can autonomously pick and pack orders for quick commerce.
A Pioneering Project to Create the Next-Generation Shopping Experience
The RCS is a next-generation staff-less store. KDDI implemented the solution in order to provide a new digital shopping experience for customers increasingly used to ecommerce with improved logistics systems and changing lifestyles. The pioneering project aims to leverage automation technology for quick commerce, where demand has grown rapidly in recent years. ROMS supports clients to develop and operate next generation stores with its proprietary technology, helping retailers shape up to face future
challenges such as quick commerce, population decline (expected in the next 5 to 10 years), and rising labor costs.
About 1st RCS with KDDI
KDDI will install and operate ROMS’ RCS as a staff-less store as “au Minutes Store Shibuya”. Located within the “au Style SHIBUYA MODI” store, it is to be an urban fulfillment center for quick commerce, where customers or delivery staff can collect orders placed by mobile phones. All orders will be picked and packed autonomously by robot.
The RCS is a fully automated solution. By connecting to the order system, it can perform the entire process from order processing to pick-up without human intervention. The PoC was completed at “MOPU” Azumabashi, Tokyo in 2021.
At “au Minutes Store Shibuya”, customers can place orders on their mobile phones. Orders will then be picked robotically by the RCS. Customers can collect their purchase directly at the store using a touch panel, or opt to have it delivered to their doorstep by delivery staff. No staff are required except for the last mile delivery.
- “au Minutes Store Shibuya” is a delivery / take-out store located inside “au Style SHIBUYA MODI” in Tokyo.
- Orders are picked and packed robotically.
- Store size is approximately 50㎡ (538 sq. ft.) including the backyard, requiring much less space than an average convenience store.
- All orders are processed online, meaning stock availability is immediately reflected in the app.
- Shelves and expiration dates are automatically managed. Shelves requiring replenishment or clearing are autonomously moved to the workbench to save labor.
- With temperature control capabilities, it can handle a mixture of refrigerated goods, dry goods etc.
- Current offerings include food and daily goods with high demand for delivery, with plans to add on new partners and expand product coverage to 500 SKUs.
- RCS footprint: Aprox. 33m2 (355 sq. ft.); aprox. 50m2 including backyard.
- SKU handling capacity: Max. 500 SKUs
- Main products: Food and daily goods (future expansion planned).
- Opening Date: September 13, 2022 11:00am
- Store Name: au Minutes Store Shibuya
- Location: 1F Shibuya MODI, 1-21-3 Jinnan, Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, Japan
- Store Hours: 11:00 – 19:00, Mon thru Fri (may be closed without notice due to unscheduled maintenance)
- Operating Company: KDDI Corporation